Now that spring is here in the Hamptons, can you turn on those hoses to water the garden? Is it time to replace that hot water heater? What can you do about the water problem in the basement? The original “Joe the Plumber,” Joe Hardy of Hardy Plumbing, is here with his expert insights.
● To avoid any unnecessary service calls during the hectic summer months, schedule an inspection prior to the season rush.
● Consider a water analysis to determine the corrosiveness and iron content of your tap water. Poor water quality affects ALL your plumbing fixtures and faucets.
● If it is more than 12-years old, consider replacing your glass-lined hot water heater to avoid costly flood damage. Replace your outdated heater with an on-demand, 95% efficient tankless unit to save on energy costs.
● Have an expert drain the sediment from your existing water heater and replace the anode rod to extend the life of the tank. This will improve the efficiency of your existing heater as well.
● If you have a water problem in your basement, consider having an expert install a 90-gallon per minute sump pump to prevent water damage from heavy rains or leaking water lines. If your home has already a pump, let an expert service it so it is in top working order.
● If you are still using the old and outdated rubber hoses on your washing machine hook-up, call an expert today and replace them with new stainless steel ones. The outdated rubber hoses dry out and can cause major water damage to your home.
● Did you know that a leaking faucet can waste 250 gallons of water in a single day? If you have a leaky faucet or a constantly running toilet, consider having an expert repair them. This simple step can help cut down on your water and electric usage, resulting in lower water and utility bills.
● Consider having an expert service your well tank. Short-cycling of the pump due to low air in the tank can be very costly if it burns out your submersible pump.
● Whether you have Town water or well water, sand and sediment can result in problems with your toilets, faucets and water supplied appliances. Call an expert to install a rust and sediment filter on your water main. These filters are inexpensive and can be maintained by you, the homeowner.
● Clean and service your gas boiler and water heater burner assemblies. Clogged or restricted burner assemblies can dramatically affect the efficiency of your unit.
● If your garden hoses were left connected during the winter months, frost-free hose bibs can leak internally causing damage in the basement. Call an expert to check all your exterior hose-bibs prior to turning them on.
● Consider calling an expert to check the drains and valves throughout your home. It is important that all valves are serviced and lubricated in case of an emergency.
For any plumbing questions you may have, to inquire about a FREE water analysis to determine the corrosiveness and iron content of your tap water, or for a FREE inspection by Joe Hardy himself, call Hardy Plumbing in Southampton at 631-283-9333, in East Hampton at 631-329-1333 or Mattituck at 631-298-8181. You can also visit online at hardyplumbing.com.