HAMPTON BAYS: The Southampton Landmark and Historic Districts Board has approved an application from the Hampton Bays Historical Society to make Lyzon Hat Shop in Hampton Bays a Historic Landmark. The hat shop, located on West Montauk Highway, has been there for almost 100 years, and the actual building has stood for over 150 years. The original structure was built in 1854 and was owned by the King Family, one of the earliest residents in Hampton Bays. It was initially a general store called Good Ground. The store was last renovated in 1915, and it was turned into Lyzon Hat Shop in the early 20th century by Helen King, Walter H. King’s wife. With its new status, it will receive roof renovations and interior renovations in order to preserve the building.
Hat Shop Becomes Historical Landmark In Hampton Bays
May 31, 2012 by The Scoop