Bay Street Theater Starry Night Virtual Gala
Bay Street Theater & Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is pleased to announce that Richard Kind will host this year’s 29th Annual Summer Gala, A Starry Night, which will be streamed online on baystreet.org and other live stream platforms on Wednesday, July 22, at 8 p.m., with a red carpet preshow beginning at 7:30 p.m. The broadcast will include a telethon, testimonials from actors and contributors as to the important role of Bay Street, and special performances from many luminary figures of the performing arts. Proceeds from the evening will support Bay Street’s educational and theatrical programs; in addition, ten percent of all proceeds will support the JBJ Soul Kitchen Food Bank in Wainscott, which has provided meals for thousands of food-insecure families across Long Island since it launched on May 11 of this year.
Key Performers include:
- Four-time Tony Award nominee and OBIE recipient Raul Esparza, whose Broadway credits include the 2006 revival of Company, Leap of Faith, Arcadia, Speed-the-Plow, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Cabaret, and The Rocky Horror Show. He recently appeared in Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration.
- Winner of the 1973 Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical for his performance in Pippin, Ben Vereen. Vereen is a two-time Golden Globe Award nominee for his performances in Funny Lady and Ellis Island, and a three-time Primetime Emmy Award nominee.
- Melissa Errico, Tony Award nominated actress, singer, and author, who appeared at Bay Street Theater as Betty Comden in Make Someone and as Kate in Kiss Me Kate. She has starred on Broadway in productions of My Fair Lady, High Society and Les Miserables, and recently recorded her latest album, Sondheim Sublime.
- The legendary Betty Buckley, a multi-award-winning actress and singer whose career has spanned theater, film, and television. She is a 2012 Theatre Hall of Fame inductee and the 2017 recipient of the Julie Harris Awards from The Actor’s Fund for Artistic Achievement. She recently completed headlining the National Tour of the Broadway production of Hello, Dolly! produced by Scott Rudin.
- Actor, singer, dancer, director, and choreographer André De Shields, whose Broadway credits include Warp!, Ain’t Misbehavin’, The Full Monty, and the title role in The Wiz. In 2019, he originated the role of Hermes in the musical Hadestown on Broadway, winning the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical and the 2020 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album for his performance.
- Tony Award nominee and Theatre World Award-winner Josh Young, who originated the role of “John Newton” in the Broadway World Premiere of Amazing Grace. He made his Broadway debut as Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, and recently won the New England Theater’s IRNE Award for Best Actor in a Musical for his portrayal of Tateh in Ogunquit Playhouse’s production of Ragtime.
- Hunter Parrish, who appeared on Broadway in Godspell as Jesus, and whose television and film credits include Weeds, Still Alice, and This Is Us. He will be appearing in the forthcoming Ryan Murphy series Ratched on Netflix, opposite Sarah Paulson.
- Trent Saunders, who most recently played the role of Jesus in ACT of CT’s production of Godspell. He made his West End Debut last summer as Che in the Lawrence Olivier Award-nominated revival of Evita, directed by Jamie Lloyd, and is an original cast member of Disney’s Aladdin.
- Arianna Rosario, who performed the title role of Eva Peron in Bay Street’s 2018 smash hit Evita. Recently she was working on the hotly anticipated production of Kurt Weil’s Love Life, directed by Victoria Clark as part of New York City Center Encores. Broadway credits include Cats, On Your Feet!, Cinderella, and West Side Story.
- Juan Peron in Bay Street’s 2018 production of Evita, Omar Lopez-Cepero, who made his debut in the role of Vincenzo in the Off-Broadway production of The Unsinkable Molly Brown. Broadway and Off-Broadway credits include original cast member of On Your Feet! and American Idiot.