Elements Fitness Studio founder Andrea Fornarola Hunsberger offers these 10 tips to get through the holiday season:
1. Don’t deny yourself at a holiday party! Small tastes of everything at the holiday table, will be better for your waistline rather than denying yourself all night, then bingeing on the sweetest treat you can find at the end of the night.
2. Stick to the sparkly seltzer with a lemon, lime or an orange in it. Stay away from sugary punch bowls and the holiday cocktails.
3. If you are going to toast to holiday season, remember moderation is key. Stick to a two-glass maximum, and keep classy with a glass of Champs or Prosecco rather than then the extra sugary holiday specialty cocktail or spiked holiday punch
4. Stay away from the Ginger Bread Peppermint Mocha Spiced Salted 500 calorie drinks at the coffee shop. Instead, try sugar free or ditch the latte all together. Try a skim misto with your favorite signature blend and a pump of your favorite syrup. You will cut the calories in half and still enjoy the coffee house staple of the season.
5. Make your workout part of your holiday routine. Time your lunch dates and shopping trips after your workout so that you are sure to get it in. Even more fun, buy a friend a class at your favorite barre studio and enjoy fitness together.
6. When shopping for that sexy holiday dress, pick up some sassy new workout gear as well. If you buy a fun new workout outfit that you are excited to sport in class or at the gym you will look forward to your fitness routine.
7. Don’t stress, and if you do hit the gym! Stress reactions in the body wreak havoc on your waistline. If you are feeling the pressure of the season do some cardio! Get your heart rate going, release those good endorphins and enjoy the challenges of the season!
8. Vitamins! Please consult your Dr. before taking any vitamin supplements, however once you get the clearance, B vitamins help the body metabolize and burn calories more efficiently. Try adding a B Complex to your routine to add an extra boost of energy during the busy holiday season.
9. Walk and carry your holiday purchases. While Christmas shopping, take the stairs, park further away from the store, and carry your bags rather than a using a cart. Holiday shopping can and will burn calories if you make it a total body experience.
10. Take time for you! Making time for quiet reflection, meditation or yoga can help center the mind and body so that you feel better and perform at your best. It is a proven fact that when you are practicing good mental health exercises you are more likely to make healthier choices through out the day.
Andrea Fornarola Hunsberger is the founder and a director of the new Elements Fitness Studio in East Hampton. She holds multiple nationally recognized fitness certifications including ACE, AFAA, Schwinn, and Real Ryder International.