Learn to make chicken pot pie with this excellent recipe from Highway Restaurant & Bar chef Anand Sastry.
Pie Dough Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 sticks of butter
4 tablespoons ice water
1 egg white
5 tablespoons of chicken fat
1 tablespoon of margarine
1 chicken, spit-roasted or roasted and flaked
1 1/4 cup of flour
2 pints of strong chicken stock
5 sticks of celery
1 bunch of flat parsley, picked
- Place flour, salt, sugar, vegetable shortening in a mixer for a few minutes.
- Add chopped, chilled butter and ice cold water mix until it forms a dough.
- Leave to chill 4 hours.
- Chop up the vegetables, roughly, and picked parsley, place in chicken stock and cook until tender.
- Strain and keep the stock.
- Place chicken fat, margarine in a pan. Add the flour until it forms like crumbs.
- Add the warm stock very slowly, little at a time, until it becomes a thick sauce, then season with salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place flaked chicken and vegetables, season with salt and pepper, then add the warm sauce, until in binds together.
- Leave to cool.
- On a floured table, roll the dough into a circle that depends on the size of pie dish you have, 1/4 inch thick.
- Add the filling, roll out the top, same as the bottom.
- Cut and trim sides, brush with egg white and place in fridge for an hour.
- Bake at 380 degrees for 40 minutes and then turn down to 350 degrees for another 20 minutes.
- When brown, leave to cool and then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Highway Restaurant & Bar in East Hampton, highwayrestaurant.com