1. Mixing metals such as gold and silver in varying shades creates diversity.
2. Adjustable clasps and hooks are a plus when layering. That way you can adjust to the appropriate length.
3. The chains should be of varying lengths and staggered.
4. Mixing media like gems and beads adds texture.
5. To create a put-together look, use a combination of elements that brings the pieces together – either an antique look, or shape or color.
6. Don’t be afraid to mix new with old, real with imitation.
7. Above all, your choices should be comfortable and feel good against your skin.
8. Have fun with it!
I’ve posted some examples, showing my necklace designs in layered looks (available on www.AmyZerner.com).