Parents should have no problem finding quality activities and events for the little ones over Memorial Day weekend on the East End. Local museums, libraries and parks will be busy with all things fun and educational, making the weekend as exciting for kids as it is for adults. Check out the events below, or visit our Events Calendar and find many more options to set your own path.
1. Children’s Museum of the East End: Mini Golf Opens! – Visit CMEE (376 Sag Harbor Turnpike) in Bridgehampton 12–5 p.m. to play nine holes of miniature golf. The course is specially designed to be fun and educational, with each hole demonstrating various properties and laws of physics. All posted physics lessons and the scorecard, which includes additional facts, are written in both English and Spanish. Call 631-537-8250 or visit cmee.org.
2. South Fork Natural History Museum: Lodo the Otter’s Insect Story and Nature Walk – For children ages 3-5, join Program Leader Crystal Possehl and her story-time puppet Lodo the River Otter to learn all about insects. After story time, search for insects and other creepy crawlies in the field and pond behind the museum using magnifiers to get really close up. Meet at 377 Bridgehampton/ Sag Harbor Turnpike in Bridgehampton on Saturday, May 24 at 2 p.m. Members free, non-members $7 per adult, $5 per child 3-12, children 2 and younger attend free. Price includes admission to the museum. Call 631-537-9735 or visit sofo.org.
3. Flower Power Story and Crafts at Amagansett Free Library – Come to this week’s story time at the Amagansett Library (215 Main Street) to hear a tale of flower power and make a craft to remember the day. This free event is from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 24. Perfect for families. Call 631-267-3810 or visit amaglibrary.org.
4. Free Memorial Day Weekend Summer Kickoff: Super Soccer Stars – Join the country’s largest and most popular soccer program for kids, Super Soccer Stars, for a free Summer Kick-Off event in Mashashimuet Park (corner of Main Street and Jermain Avenue) in Sag Harbor. In addition to the soccer fun, kids are encouraged to build their own kites with staff from the Children’s Museum of the East End! Super Soccer Stars offers a weekend classes, a camp and birthday parties for kids ages 3–12. The free weekend activities run 10 a.m.–12 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, May 24–25. Call 212-877-7171 or visit supersoccerstars.com for info and RSVP.
5. Children Hands-On-Milling, Corn Grinding Demo – Visit the Water Mill Museum (41 Old Mill Road) at 11:30 a.m. on Memorial Day to see a water-powered grist mill and grinding stones in action, with a miller there to explain colonial corn-grinding. All kids over 5 welcome to this free event (donations are appreciated) on Monday, May 26. Call 631-726-4625 or visit watermillmuseum.org.