10 Quotes for National Doughnut Day
National Doughnut Day, celebrated each year on the first Friday of June, is back!
SCROLL DOWN FOR QUOTES
This wonderful day to rejoice in all things doughnut was created by the Salvation Army in 1938 as a way to honor all the women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I—though it’s now more about free treats and an excuse to indulge. This is your day to break free of all diet restrictions and enjoy that doughnut you’ve been pining for these last few months. Or, if you never hold back, maybe it’s about eating a second or third jelly, chocolate or glazed delight?
The East End is home to all manner of delectable doughnut, so drop by the Milk Pail in Water Mill (1346 Montauk Highway) for an apple cider doughnut, pick up a dozen powdered and cinnamon Dreesen’s Doughnuts at Scoop du Jour in East Hampton (35 Newtown Lane) or go with the awesomely delicious corporate standby at Dunkin’ Donuts in Bridgehampton (2044 Montauk Highway), Southampton (20 County Road 39) or Riverhead (1051 Old Country Road).
Our local Dunkin’ Donuts stores are giving out free donuts, with purchase of a drink, today—so it’s definitely worth dropping by.
In keeping with the spirit of this hallowed day, we’ve collected 10 of our favorite doughnut quotes below, in ascending order. Got any we missed?
Top 10 Doughnut Quotes
10. I’m on my version of the protein diet, but there ain’t no protein in it. It’s a Krispy Kreme doughnut between two Cinnabons. And you soak it overnight in Red Bull. Then you chase it with a Snickers. – J. B. Smoove
9. It’s simple. Eat well, exercise and get lots of sleep but make sure you indulge occasionally. At my age I think, what the hell, and eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut. – Michelle Pfeiffer
8. Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the hole! – Oscar Wilde
7. I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut… I don’t need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don’t need to bring ink and paper into this. I can’t imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, ‘Don’t even act like I didn’t get that doughnut, I’ve got the documentation right here… It’s in my file at home. …Under “D.” – Mitch Hedberg
6. Be sweet and honest always, but for God’s sake don’t eat my doughnuts! – Emma Bunton
5. Whether you take the doughnut hole as a blank space or as an entity unto itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit.
– Haruki Murakami, A Wild Sheep Chase
4. I am a jelly doughnut. – President John F. Kennedy (much debated translation of “Ich bin ein Berliner”)
3. New mysteries. New day. Fresh doughnuts. – David Lynch
2. Time to make the doughnuts. – Fred the Baker (Michael Vale)
1. Mmmmmm…doughnuts. – Homer Simpson (Dan Castellaneta)