Meredith Murray will read excerpts from her historical book Voices of Quogue: A Small Village Remembers the Way We Were on Sunday, May 24, from 3 to 5 p.m., during the Quogue Historical Society’s annual open house at the Pond House.
This event will also bring light to the opening of the Pond House’s expanded exhibition space.
The Village of Quogue was founded in 1659 and since then has established many memories through the residents of the town. In her new book, published by the Quogue Historical Society, Murray documents 20th century life in Quogue through the reminiscences of 14 of the village’s long-time residents.
The book includes more than 100 photographs of Quogue in its former glory and the way it looks now. The event will include reminiscences ranging from of a Polish housekeeper caring for a grand estate to a young boy living next to World War II soldiers encamped in the dunes.
Murray’s “voices” will recall the past memories of this historical village.
Along with this historical book being read by the author, three new exhibitions called Quawquanatucke: Early Settlement, Boarding Houses, the Heyday: 1880-1910 and Historic Jessup Avenue: A Tribute will be on view on the Pond House’s lower level, which will be open on a permanent basis.
This historical event is part of Southampton Town’s 375th anniversary celebration, from 1640-2015.
Admission is free of charge and refreshments will be served.
The Pond House is located at 114 Jessup Avenue, Quogue.