The purpose of this column is to offer short, sweet, powerful insights into the truth of your nature and the nature of humanity. May you take these words to heart, embody them deeply and create a joyful, meaningful and compassionate life for yourself. – with spirit, Bernard
Top 10 Rules for Being Human
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it is yours for the entire duration this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time, informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant or stupid.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that actually works.
4. A lesson is repeated until it is learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. “There” is no better than “here.” When your “there” becomes “here,” you will simply obtain another “there” that will, again, look better than “here.”
7. Others are simply mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8.What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie inside you. The answers to life’s questions lie inside you. All you need is to look, listen and trust.
10. You will forget all this. (“Cancel, clear” as we say in Robert Stevens’s Language of Mastery program. Cancel the thought “You will forget all this” from your consciousness and clear the slate of your mind for a more life-affirming belief.)
-Found on a refrigerator door
Bernard Corrigan, M.A. is a transpersonal psychotherapist who practices on the East End. He has more than 38 years counseling individuals, couples and teenagers to discover, communicate and realize their hearts’ truth. Call him at 631-725-9394 or visit bernardcorrigan.org.