Kitchen renovations are one of the most complex projects to plan and execute — and the most expensive. That’s why it helps to have a qualified kitchen renovation professional that’s just a click away, like the kind you’d find with Dan’s Papers Home Pros.
The average cost of a new kitchen has many variables, of course. Building requirements, permits, design, materials and appliances can move the average cost ever skyward. But here are general starting costs for renovating a kitchen in New York City, according to Sweeten renovations:
Budget kitchen renovation: Starting at $25,000
Mid-grade renovation: Starting at $35,000
High-end renovation: Starting at $65,000
Of course, changes to the project add cost. Here is the process a kitchen remodel follows, along with a time-frame for each step:
- Tear-out and demolition: Ripping out walls, cabinetry, flooring, fixtures, etc. 1-3 days
- Rough-in work: Can include moving plumbing fixtures or electrical outlets, or establishing a center island. 2-5 weeks
- Professional inspection: A county inspector certifies the work for safety. 1 day
- Approvals for co-op and condo boards. 1-2 weeks
- Finish the walls: Putting up drywall and priming. 1-2 weeks
- Install doors and windows: Sealing/insulation and trim work, inside and outside. 1-2 days
- Install cabinets and plumbing fixtures: Includes new countertops, sink, faucet and garbage disposal. Want countertops specially fabricated? That will add to the time. 3 days – 3 weeks
- New appliances: Includes everything from the basics–microwave, stove, refrigerator–to luxury items, such as a wine chiller or water filtration system. 1-3 days
- Install new flooring: We prefer to do this at the end of a kitchen remodel to ensure none of the new floor is damaged while bringing in heavy appliances, dropping tools, etc. Time requirements vary slightly by material; for example, wood takes longer than ceramic tile. 3-6 days
Looking for other pros, like roofers or contractors? Check out Dan’s Papers Home Pros. Each listing includes project galleries, bio information, testimonials and contact information so you can reach out to them directly.
Are you a home services professional looking for exposure to an engaged audience of millions of monthly visitors? Sign up for LI Home Pros here. Schneps takes no fee from any job you book through the service.
[Photos via Casacareri Home Designs]