Learn to make tortilla soup, as served at Estia’s Little Kitchen in Sag Harbor, with this recipe from chef/owner Colin Ambrose.
Colin Ambrose’s Tortilla Soup
6 quarts water
3 tablespoons kosher salt
10 plum tomatoes
25 Guajillo chilis (stems removed)
3 Arbol chilis (stems removed)
1 Spanish onion
6 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons cumin powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 dozen fried, chopped tortillas
1. Add all ingredients to water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, blend and strain.
3. Chill and hold cold until service.
10 corn tortillas cut into strips and fried
2 avocados, diced
1 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat desired amount of soup on stove top.
2. Place a handful of shredded tortillas in each cup.
3. Fill with soup, garnish with avocado & cilantro, crumble feta on all.