“Greenport was originally called Green Hill. This was the house on the Green Hill,” says Jerry Cibulski of Century 21 Albertson Realty regarding the historic Youngs-Coyle house in Greenport, now on the market. “During the whaling era they renamed [the area] to Greenport because Greenport Harbor never froze over in the winter.”
Located in Greenport on the North Fork, the 3-bedroom traditional house with wide pine floors was built in 1688 by Colonel John Youngs, the son of Puritan Pastor John Youngs who led a group of Puritans from Long Island Sound to Founder’s Landing in Southold in 1640. Col. Youngs, 17-years-old during the voyage with his father, rose to prominence and purchased much of what is now the Village of Greenport today. Youngs real estate holdings stretched from the Sound to the Peconic Bay. He would later build his home, referred to in historical documents at the Youngs Homestead at Stirling, on a wooded lot on Robinson Road overlooking Sterling Creek. The house was enlarged in 1727 and a weaving mill was added.
The home was quite vast initially however, over the years the building was dismantled with pieces being relocated across the North Fork. In fact, the home was cut in half at the fireplace, the original chimney remains on the home while the other half was moved to North Road, Greenport. A separate kitchen wing was removed and relocated to Third Street, Greenport. The mill section of the home remains at the original location.
Over the years the house, moved to Champlin Place in 1900 where it sits today, has been meticulously renovated and includes a formal dining room, eat-in kitchen, and spacious front porch perfect for enjoying summer nights. Listed for $719,000 by Jerry Cibulski (Century 21 Albertson Realty, 631-765-3800) the property has room for a pool and is just a short walk to Main Street.Greenport’s historic Youngs-Coyle House