An icon of the classic Hamptons shingle style has just been listed for $18.5 million in Montauk.
Steeped in history, and featuring 300-degree water views at 153 Deforest Road, the 4-bedroom, 2.5-bath house offers 3,800 square feet of beautiful living space on 2.3 acres. Ample decking allows plenty of room for sitting out with friends and family, while the well manicured lawn has space for play and gatherings.
Originally built in 1879 with grounds by Frederick Law Olmsted and structure by Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White, the home is one of the fabled Seven Sisters houses of the Montauk Association, a private hunting and fishing retreat by real estate developer Arthur Benson, who at the time owned most of land on The End.
The first owner of the property was Benson’s friend, William L. Andrews, founder of the Grolier Club in Manhattan, and it thus became known as “Andrews House.” It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, and was later rebuilt by another famous architect, Francis Fleetwood, in 1992. Plans for future expansion have also been drawn up by Alan Greenberg.
Perfectly sited on a rise in the surrounding moorlands, this property was sited to complement Montauk’s natural beauty, just like the six other Seven Sisters homes, which are linked by pathways. Along with Andrews House, the Seven Sisters include the Agnew Cottage, Benson House, Sanger House, Hoyt House, deForest House and Orr House—all of which were constructed between 1882 and 1884.
Linda Haugevik of Douglas Elliman is representing this historically significant treasure.