Demanded Cash At Gunpoint

A terrorized employee painted an all-too frequent picture to Riverhead Town Police: a man wearing a dark hoodie stormed into the market, gestured he had a gun, and demanded money. The incident occurred about 10:15 PM on March 23 at the Speedway on Route 58, but it could have been at a small gas station mini-mart in the Calverton, or Flanders, or Wading River areas. About a dozen similar reports have been filed within the past three years.

The Speedway cashier removed the cash from the register and handed it to the robber. The suspect, apparently alone, fled north on foot. Patrol units arrived shortly after and called in a K-9 unit as well, but as has been the case in the past, the suspect evaded capture. The suspect was described as being of medium height and weight, and with a dark complexion.

In other news, three Riverhead women were arrested on March 18 in Riverside for harassment and trespassing, according to Southampton Town police reports.

The women were allegedly trespassing on the victim’s Randall Street property. Reports said the three women blocked the victim’s car and started yelling at the victim, who felt trapped and endangered.

Kevin Dichtl of Calverton was arrested Sunday evening, March 17, in Riverside for driving while intoxicated, according to Southampton Town police.

Dichtl, 31, was pulled over at the intersection of Flanders Road and Vail Avenue around 11 PM after he was observed exiting the Route 24 traffic circle too quickly and later crossing over roadway lines. Later, police reports said, he failed to signal onto Vail Avenue. He was charged with four traffic violations in addition to misdemeanor DWI.

A Kew Garden Hills man, whose license was suspended 10 times for failure to pay and answer a summons, was arrested on March 19 following a traffic stop, according to reports.

Ladislav Ruc, 31, was pulled over in Flanders for driving without functional plate lights, police said. He was also driving with a child in the passenger seat of the car. He was arrested at 9:57 PM and transported to headquarters, where he was charged with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor, and two violations.

[email protected]

More from Our Sister Sites