Two Charged With Felony Assault

T. E. McMorrow
Charles Thomas Re, in the blue shirt, and Henry Farez-Guazhambo, wearing an orange-red shirt, are being led away by police after both were arraigned on felony assault charges.

Two men were arrested by East Hampton Town police within an hour of each other on July 15, on a charge of assault with a weapon with intent to cause serious injury. The incidents were unrelated. In both cases, police interviewed the alleged female victims as they were being treated for their injuries at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

The first to be arrested was Charles Thomas Re, 65. Re was staying in East Hampton, but also has a Florida address. Re was arrested after an investigation by town police that took several days.

The 30-year-old alleged victim of Re told police that on the evening of July 8, she had returned from the dentist, and was at the entrance of the house Re was staying in when she got into a shouting match with a female occupant of that house. Re stepped in and began physically “pushing and pulling me out of the house,” the woman told police.

She told police when she left the house to smoke a cigarette, she was struck in the head with some kind of blunt object. She told police she tried to fight back, but ended up “dazed, lying on the lawn,” she told police, as “blood started running into my left eye.”

Police placed Re under arrest at 10:19 PM on Friday, July 19, on the felony charge of assault.

At 11:02 PM July 19, Town police arrested Henry Farez-Guazhambo, 39, of Springs on a felony assault charge, as well as a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child.

In the case of Farez-Guazhambo, the alleged victim was a teenaged girl apparently in his care. The girl told police that she had been with friends that day after having told her guardians that she was working as a babysitter. The girl told police Farez-Guazhambo got up from the dining room table holding a cow-tail whip.

The complaint says that he struck her “multiple times” with the whip and a belt, leaving several large raised welts on her legs, arms, and back. “I told him to stop because I couldn’t feel my hand,” the girl said in her statement.

Because her phone had been taken away from her, the girl told police, “I used my iPad to send a message to my friend to call the police for help.” After police arrived, she was taken to the hospital, and Farez-Guazhambo was placed under arrest.

Both men were held overnight. On Saturday morning, East Hampton Town Justice Lisa Rana had a busy calendar in Sag Harbor Village Justice Court, where she also serves, so the two were brought to that courthouse. Bail was set at $5000 for each. They were returned to East Hampton Town police headquarters, where bail was posted and they were released.

[email protected]

More from Our Sister Sites