According to the internet—which is never wrong—today, December 30, is Bacon Day. Of course, Wikipedia says International Bacon Day has been on Saturday before Labor Day since 2009. So which is it? Who cares? Every day should be Bacon Day—national, international, regional, whatever!
In that spirit of loving bacon in all its sizzling, crispy, salty glory, we’re celebrating this momentous occasion with some quotes. Enjoy our top 10 bacon quotes below, and then find yourself some sumptuous cured pork. Perhaps try something new in honor of the day: a bacon and peanut butter sandwich; a taco on woven bacon shell; bacon brownies; bacon wrapped sushi; vanilla ice cream with bacon sprinkles—as Penn Jillette explains, it’s all delicious!
Top 10 Bacon Quotes
10. If you record the sound of bacon in a frying pan and play it back, it sounds like the pops and cracks on an old 33 1/3 recording. Almost exactly like that. You could substitute it for that sound. – Tom Waits
9. …I can’t hack it as a vegetarian either. What can I say? New York is sushi city, and sushi is the one thing I’ve consistently craved over the past decade (besides the secret craving of every vegetarian: bacon). – Sloane Crosley, I Was Told There’d Be Cake
8. Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon. – Doug Larson
7. Bacon is so good by itself that to put it in any other food is an admission of failure. You’re basically saying, ‘I can’t make this other food taste good, so I’ll throw in bacon. – Penn Jillette
6. I only eat bacon socially. ― Gina Barberi
5. You pretty much can’t get away from bacon or whiskey in the South. Put a doughnut in it and you’d be good to go. – Hillary Scott
4. Bacon. Let’s talk about bacon. There’s no meat more glorious than bacon. You can add it to pasta instead of cheese. You can stick it in a sandwich, er… instead of cheese. – Rob Manuel
3. And hey, bacon made everything better. ― Jennifer Estep,
2. Pigs might make great pets, but they make better breakfast. I’ll take one big snuggle, with a side of scrambled eggs. ― Jarod Kintz,
1. Even apocalypse looks less dire when viewed over a plate of bacon. ― Stephanie Stamm,