The purpose of my column is to offer short, sweet, powerful insights into the Truth of your nature and the nature of humanity. May you take these words to heart, embody them deeply, and create a joyful, meaningful and compassionate life for yourself. – with spirit, Bernard
Succeed In Every Communication So Everyone Wins
1. You are exactly 100% responsible for you, 50% responsible for your relationship and 0% responsible for the other. No exceptions.
2. The other’s disappointments and judgments are never ultimately about you. They are about the other.
3. What is your role in what is going on? You have one–find it.
4. We are each equal–despite any feelings you may have to the contrary.
5. Pay attention. The more you truly listen the more you will be truly heard.
6. Tell it like it is, kindly, and let the chips fall where they may. Let go of your agenda for a particular outcome. Trust the process.
7. Be kind and respectful with your words or be silent until you get there. Yes, all the time.
8. Be committed to win/win. If the other loses, you lose.
9. Eliminate blame from your heart, mind and voice. Now…and now…and now.
10. Be true to yourself and honor the other. We’re all bozos on this bus together!
Remember: “In the beginning was the Word…” Words create. Pay attention to every word coming out of your mind and mouth–the other person does! Speak only what you choose to have come into being.
Bernard Corrigan, M.A. is a transpersonal psychotherapist who practices on the East End. He has more than 38 years counseling individuals, couples and teenagers to discover, communicate and realize their hearts’ truth. Call him at 631-725-9394 or visit bernardcorrigan.org.