A man parked a white van at the end of the driveway of a Water Mill residence, walked up to the front door, checked for a key under the doormat, and left when no key could be found, according to Southampton Town police, and now investigators are asking the public for help identifying the man, because they suspect he could be responsible for a string of burglaries.
Detectives are investigating several East End burglaries and they believe this incident, which occurred on the afternoon of February 27, could be related.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Southampton Town Police Department Detective Division at 631-702-2230 or email [email protected]. Police said all calls will be kept confidential.
In light of recent events, police offer tips to prevent burglaries:
· Lock all outside doors before you leave or go to bed.
· Lock all windows.
· Leave lights on when you go out.
· Keep your garage door closed and locked.
· Don’t allow daily deliveries to accumulate.
· Arrange to have your lawn cut in summer and driveway shoveled in winter when you are away.
· Never leave keys in obvious “hiding places” outside (in planters, under the mat, in mailboxes).
· Keep a detailed list of valuables (many use a video camera to inventory their homes) and store the list or tape outside the home.
· Be a good neighbor—if you notice anything suspicious in the neighborhood call the Southampton Town Police at 631-728-5000.