Four On South Fork Charged With DWI

East Hampton Town police made three arrests this past week on drunken driving charges, while the Village of Sag Harbor’s department added one more. All charged were first-time offenders.

A Springs man, Wilson Manuel-Quisque, 32, was spotted sitting in a 2005 Jeep, with Virginia plates, engine running, by the baseball diamond in Maidstone Park, a little before midnight Friday, January 18, according to East Hampton Town police. The arresting officer reported seeing two open cans of Modelo beer in the center console. Manuel-Quisque failed roadside sobriety tests, was placed under arrest, and was taken to headquarters, where a breath test indicated a blood alcohol percentage of .19 of one percent, police reported. Not only was that alleged reading over the .08 mark that defines intoxication in New York State, it also exceeded the .18 level that automatically raises the charge to the aggravated level.

Complicating Manuel-Quisque’s arraignment in East Hampton Town Justice Court Saturday morning was that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency had sent the police an administrative detainer request for the man. Such requests, which ask any agency holding the man 48 hours notification before releasing him, are unusual now in New York, since a state appeals court found the administrative requests violate both state and federal law. The Suffolk County sheriff’s office no longer honors such requests. Justice Lisa Rana set bail at $50, which was posted, and Manuel-Quisque was, indeed, released.

A Springs woman, Maria Galo-DeYanes, was driving a 2006 Toyota, also with Virginia plates, early Sunday morning, when she turned onto Fort Pond Boulevard, police said. In front of her, after she made the turn, were two police cars. “I saw the police cars. I accelerated, and hit the tree,” she reportedly told police. Galo-DeYanes, who does not have a driver’s license, jumped out of the Toyota after it struck a tree, and tried to flee on foot, but was soon apprehended, the police reported. She was released later Sunday morning without having to post bail.

Fernando Sainz Gonzalez was behind the wheel of a 2017 Toyota pickup just before midnight January 17 when he was pulled over on Daniels Hole Road near Wainscott Northwest Road. Police said he was going 80 miles per hour on the dark, winding road, where the limit is 30, and failed to dim his headlights for an oncoming police car. He told police he had been drinking at The Clubhouse, making him the second defendant charged with drunken driving to have made that statement in the past few weeks. He was released the next morning without bail.

A Northwest Woods resident, Dwight Garcia, 46, was stopped after allegedly driving a 2009 Mercedes erratically on Hampton Road by Sag Harbor police Friday night. His breath test at headquarters produced a reading just below the .18 mark, the police said. He was released the next morning without bail.

[email protected]

More from Our Sister Sites