EHTPD: Alcohol Fuels Criminal Mischief

T. E. McMorrow
The East Hampton Town Police Department’s Montauk substation was the hub of activity this past week.

Intoxication appeared to trigger several incidents that led to arrests in Montauk over the long Fourth of July week. Here are two of the incidents in which it is alleged the defendant was under the influence, and was charged with criminal mischief as a misdemeanor.

The first man was Benedict McKenna, 21, of Southampton, who was arrested at 1:54 AM, July 1.

According to the police, the bouncers at the Point Bar on Montauk’s Main Street asked him to leave and not return to the establishment. McKenna repeatedly tried to return, only to be rebuffed, police said. He then allegedly got into scuffle outside the Point, before trying to re-enter, again.

When told he would not be allowed back in, the police say, McKenna headed west, stopping in at the Montauk Medical Center, about 20 yards away, where the report says that he “did kick, destroy, and uproot plants located near the entrance.” Besides the misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief, he was also hit with two violations, disorderly conduct and public urination.

He was released the next day without bail by East Hampton Town Justice Lisa Rana, who cited McKenna’s local ties.

Police received a 3 AM 911 call July 6 from an Agnew Avenue residence, where a visitor was allegedly on something of a rampage.

Police were told that John Mark Shkreli, 27, of Bronxville was under emotional duress due to the loss of a loved one, “and was getting really drunk and starting to act crazy” earlier at Gurney’s, where he had gone at around midnight, with the owner of the Agnew Avenue residence and another friend. The Agnew Avenue men left Shkreli at Gurney’s and returned home a little after 2:30 AM. Then Shkreli showed up, and entered the house, agitated, the homeowner said. The confrontation quickly turned physical, with Shkreli shoving several in the group, and even threatening to kill them, police were told.

He had allegedly broken the handle off the patio door, and smashed a plate before police arrived. Shkreli was charged with criminal mischief and two counts of harassment. Police said he had pushed and held one of the men to the ground, and had punched and shoved the owner.

He was arraigned July 7 and released without bail, after being issued court orders that he stay away from the two men he was said to have physically harassed.

[email protected]

More from Our Sister Sites